Sunday, August 22, 2010

Moving from US to UK with my furniture. Any shipping advice?

We have really good furniture that we would hate to leave behind. Permanently moving from US to UK with 2BD sets, Living Room with entertainment units and Dining room furniture. Does anyone have any experience with such a big move? Any advice about cost and time? Is it worth the effort?Moving from US to UK with my furniture. Any shipping advice?
I moved in the opposite direction. The cost of surface shipping (about 3 months from West Coast US -%26gt; UK) is not very high. You will recoupe the cost of the move for 1 decent piece of furniture. Talk to the usual set of movers about it.





Typically you can get things moved in ';tea-chest'; size containers separately or you can get part of a standard shipping container. We found a half container was ideal for moving a house-full.





It's not worth moving appliances unless it's something unique that you don't want to leave (e.g. your laser-disk player %26amp; collection - you will need to buy a special voltage converter for it in the UK). As for everything else, you should fill whatever container you choose, it will save you time, money and stress buying it in the new place. I regret not bringing silly things like garden furniture because it just meant we had to go out and choose it all over again.





Lastly, you will need a rental place in the UK to tide you over until it all arrives - and until you find the right place for a permanent move. Make sure you research homes in the area you are moving to - you may find that British homes are a lot smaller than those in some parts of the US.Moving from US to UK with my furniture. Any shipping advice?
I dont think your electrics will work over here - different voltage
The theme here seems to be - don't bother.





It's too expensive; you will need to insure your stuff just for transit purposes, and you may find the style, or lack thereof, completely incompatible with UK living.





This is before we take into consideration the electrical differences which are significant to say the least.
try www.shipit.co.uk the 1st move International?my friend did it cost a fortune but her furniture was fab 4 poster bed and large furniture make sure your new house it will fit in she went into a big house here and to tell you you cant buy the stuff here that you will have?work it out how much it will cost if its about 2 grand for saying sake how much would it all cost you hope it all goes well and welcome to the UK
Do you already know where you are going to live? I mean, are you sure the furniture will fit?





I moved from the US to the UK years ago with everything I had except the furniture and I really regret bringing so much stuff with me (kitchen stuff, CDs, sports equipment, books etc) since dwellings in the UK are much smaller than in the US! I'm soooo glad I didn't bring my furniture with me- that would have been tragedy. So think about SPACE as well, not just the cost. Best of luck.
I've been through this sceanario more times that I care to think about. My advice is, SELL THE FURNITURE BEFORE YOU MOVE AND BUY NEW WHEN YOU GET THERE.





There is no furniture worth going through the effort of moving it. If you are moving to another country, then MOVE to another country... and buy your furniture there.
Cost is likely to be astronomical. Ditch everything that doesn't have a high value.
Your biggest hurdle will be when UK Customs ask you to value all your stuff, you can't just say it's personal. The entertainment units are going to be of limited use because of different voltages and TV standards in Europe, check they are up to the job before shipping them. Sea freight in a container sounds like your best bet for shipping, slow but cheaper than air.
The UK is really cramped already and I do not think we have room for your furniture.





Just kidding.





But the costs of shipping could be more than the furniture is worth.
Bring it with you - decent furniture over here is a disgusting price compared to what you pay out there!!!





We were going to do the same move in reverse a couple of years ago - no way in this world would I have shipped furniture out there after reasearching what you pay compared to us!!





Good luck.
My friends who just moved said it was not worth the hassle and that they'd end up spending much more than their nice furniture was worth to get it there. They sold it here and bought new when they got there.
My honest opinion, you would get nice decent new furniture for the same amount , so much hassel and money. I am like you i have so much attachment for my stuff.





but think before you send that, money and efforts..





i think give it to someone who needs that.





Houses are smaller in u.k then u.s.a and if your bed is very big you might will struggle to fit in or even to get in..

No comments:

Post a Comment