Monday, August 23, 2010

Advice on UK education?

I am an American student interested in studying in the UK for an undergraduate honors degree in Business Studies. I've heard that the UK educational system is a lot more strict than the US and I'd like to know exactly how university works there.





What are the classes like?


How many classes do you have per week/per semester?


How often do exams take place?


What are the exams like?


Will I need to change my revision/note taking/researching methods in order to do well?


How are assignments/exams graded?


What sort of other classroom assignments are graded?


How do those grades translate into first, upper-second, lower-second, and third honors?


Once I start, which of those grades/honors is the minimum for an academic merit based scholarship?


How difficult is it to receive first honors?








If someone could answer those and provide more information on some things that I may need to know that aren't listed there, I'd be very grateful!Advice on UK education?
Right...


I'm not doing a Business Studies degree so I can't answer a lot of your questions. I am at university in London but the format of degrees differs hugely across subjects and universities.


Some things I know...


There are usually a range of class types. In some you won't have to participate, in some you will and will have work set every week. You should be given reading lists for all your courses.


Most students have exams in the summer, but there may be others at other times in the year that count for a percentage of your final mark - January mainly.


You shouldn't need to change the way you study, mainly its just common sense, hard work and organisation.


I'm pretty sure this is universal - a first is 70%, 2.1 is 60, 2.2 is 50 and a third (pass) is 40%. Its not too hard to get a 2.1, but some universities are harder than others. However, an employer in the UK will normally take into account how challenging individual courses are.


I would say you need a 2.1 to continue on to masters etc.





You can find out a lot about this on the individual university websites. I have no idea which ones you might consider. Look on UCAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment