Monday, August 23, 2010

Have you emigrated to France from the uk? Can you give me advice please?

My partner and i are seriously considering moving from the uk to France. I understand that this isn't a decision to be taken lightly, that is the reason for this question..( every bit of research helps) Could you give us some tips that you think are very important when moving, buying property? How did you adjust to the differences in culture? What do you wish you had done differently?


We only speak very very basic French and aim to be fluent with in a year, do you think this is possible, and what is the best way to learn..(online? CDS, french classes???. ( we want to learn before we live there)


And any other useful information you can think of...


I heard the taxes are high over there, is this correct?


Ain your experience are the French patient and accepting of the British?





Any advice will be much appreciated how ever small or insignificant you might think it is... it all helps us to build up a bigger picture. ThanksHave you emigrated to France from the uk? Can you give me advice please?
I moved to France in 1999.


I now live in the South east, near Marseille.


I had no problems whatsoever in adjusting tot he culture.


Buying propety is a long process here, however, and you need a good level of French to get you through it, as there is a lot of Administrative work involved.





As for becoming fluent in French in one year, it really depends on how good you are at learning languages. If you have no previous experience, you cannot know how long it will take.


I spoke fluent Spanish when I arrived, and my French became fluent in a year and a half (I'm an English language teacher, and have a lot of experience in language learning)


The best way to learn is with a qualified and experienced teacher. There is no other substitute. Forget online classes, you need to learn a language from a person, you can't do it with a machine. That would be like trying to learn a computing language from a person, without using a machine. Impossible !


Tax is relatively high, but only if you are in the top earnings bracket.





In my experience, the French are very patient and understanding of the British, especially if you arrive with a lot of cash !





Feel free to contact me through my profile if you have any precise questions to askHave you emigrated to France from the uk? Can you give me advice please?
Bonjour ! Savs is correct in everything and I can only confirm his sayings, de la part d'une fran莽aise !


Bonne chance !
Ist;- Learn the language.


2nd;- Rent first until you see how you get on with the French.


3rd;- Do your research with reference to work(unless you are millionaires)


4th;- Get the appropriate health cards before you go.


5th;- do'nt burn all your bridges over here until you have given France a fair trial (12 months should be long enough).


6th;- Expect no help or benefits in France,so take enough money with you to support yourselves for 12 months.


7th.Good luck,it works for some but is a disaster for others.The grass can be greener but all to often it is not!
Hi mojo!





Me I want to go in UK because I have as plan to work in tourism. My english is also basic like your french is basic. If you have an fixe line telephone I can help you to become fluent. I will discuss with you while one hour per week in french, it's free for me. in return you will speak with me in english in 1 week on two. Do you understand me? If you agree with my proposition, please contact me on my mail.





Tax in france represents for twelve months worked (full time), one month versed, in generale. You pay this tax in September. But there are also local tax bcause you are tenant (approxemately300鈧?in my town).


I live in south west in France and there are much english here. My town is PAU. We accept english, no worry.





See you soon





Thanks.
Yep, loads of red tape!,many strikes,high taxes etc...etc..but in france they use your taxes for clean streets,fantastic public transport, efficient health service !,daily rubbish collection,100% education record...need I go on? .Pack your bags now!! The only good thing about the UK is the eurostar out of there! PS: If you want to live in france and have a serious climatical change you should draw a line across the map from bordeaux to lyon....anywhere south of this and your in real warmer climes !!

No comments:

Post a Comment