Sunday, August 22, 2010

How easy is it to move from UK to USA and live other there. Any one done it, advice or tips?

Looking to live in New England area, Vermont or New Hampshire if possHow easy is it to move from UK to USA and live other there. Any one done it, advice or tips?
Moving to the US from the UK is easier then from some countries, but you still have to be able to prove the ability to support yourself or have a sponsor. They also take into account your country of origin. (ie: you can't move to the UK just to make it easier to get to the US)


If you have professional skills, make sure you have a job waiting for you here and it probably won't be too hard. Good luck.How easy is it to move from UK to USA and live other there. Any one done it, advice or tips?
Thanks,





I am married so don't intend to marry a US citizen and I have no family there. I have haerd that Canada is easier as it is an old commenwealth country?

Report Abuse



I did do it, but it is VERY difficult and bound up in red tape. I was marrying an American and trying to move there with him, but it was still incredibly difficult, expensive and time consuming.





It took over 6 months and hundreds of dollars and numerous letters for the initial green card application to go through. Once I got the stamp in my passport which allowed me to travel there, I had to wait another four months for the green card to be sent to me. This meant I couldn't work or get a license or a social security number until it came. My husband was supporting me, but it was still a very difficult time.





When you finally get all that stuff, you are not free to leave the Unites States without permission within two years (according to some rule book which no-one ever told me about until I was re-entering the US after a visit home! They threatened to fine me $400!)





Then, because we moved back to England before the two years was up, I had to renounce my green card anyway - after all that hassle! And it took my husband ONE WEEK to get his visa to come back to the UK with me!! We have been here ever since and have no desire to move back to the States.





I'm sure not everyone's experience is that bad or the same as mine, but it is a known fact that it is long, frustrating, expensive and complicated! Sorry! If it's really what you want to do, it's worth persevering and maybe you'll get there some day. God luck!
This is something I have wanted to do for years...so I have researched it thoroughly...its not easy.


$1 million dollars to invest helps.


Marry an American also helps.(as long as they got enough money to keep you)


You will need a sponsor (with lots of money) first thing they look at is your bank account, and your sponsors bank account..


(see the theme here)


For further information look at US EMBASSY website in the UK.
If you're talking about the visa application to move to the US, then it is very difficult, the ways the US will let you in are...


1. You work with a company who will transfer you to US (you are only allowed to continue to working for the company you transfered with).


2. Work visa- have a US company sponsor your move to the US, they have to guarantee you the job- this process has a limited number of visas (and the jobs that are in higher demand are more likely to be fulfilled).


3. Green Card- enter the lottery, so very very very over-subscribed... chances of getting green card are very low!


4. Invest a large chunk of money into the US (either $250,000 or $500,000- i can't remember because i'll never have that much money!)


Anyway, there are over 100 different types of visa, but the above are the most common forms of entry...


Good Luck!
If you want to work there you either need a green card (very difficult to get) or lots of money to start a reputable business, or a skill like being a heart surgeon or something.
its a pain in the **** to live there...lots of hassle, even tho we found the goddam place
Certainly the easiest area to live in being least alien...
I went off and lived in canada for few years, but I did have relations there, which helps


think you'd have to get emigration

No comments:

Post a Comment