Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wanted: Freelance Graphic Design advice UK only?

I'm a graphic designer here in London and have 12 years experience since graduating. My current employer is relocating out of London soon and my travel costs to the new location will too expensive for me to continue working for the company (拢75 per week).





I've always thought about going freelance but the lure of job security in a normal job has always been too great.


I think this is probably the right time for me to take the plunge as I'm single and don't have a family to support.





I need some advice from people that have done this so I can be prepared for may be ahead. Should I register a company for tax purposes. Can I claim costs for a new computer equipment, mobile phone etc back from the tax man? I am totally clueless and would appreciate any help. Thanks.Wanted: Freelance Graphic Design advice UK only?
For other reasons, I decided to change work and built up my own company (outside UK). What you first should do is think about what you really want to do and have a look at the market. Search information about freelance graphic designer in your area to see if its a good opportunity. You can get a lot of information about taxes, company registration etc. at your local chamber of commerce. They should normally be able to give you all information or, at least, tell you where to get it.





Before taking the final decision, you should make a sort of business plan, so you'll know if its feasible or not. And you should also have enough money to be able to live without any income during at least 3 to 6 month minimum.





As your employer has not relocated yet, look it up now and if it is what you want to do, you can already make contacts before you quit.





Hope this will help you. The most important thing is to be sure of what you'll do, without hesitation.Wanted: Freelance Graphic Design advice UK only?
i can recommend you 2 excellent websites,


http://www.getafreelancer.com/affiliates鈥?/a>


http://www.eufreelance.com/affiliates/ed鈥?/a>


in these you can find projects, the first one has a lot of payment methods including payoneer, the second one only has moneybooker
don't register a company yet, just approach agencies and they should get you work and sort out payment. once you've decided that it is the way for you, then bother.





I've been freelance in London and there's no end of work available.. but if you're in the countryside, it might be more difficult.. as most of the work I got (by most i mean 98%) came through agencies.. but I had to go in to a certain company and work as an employee for a day/week.





if you're thinking of just taking on projects etc. you'd better have a really good list of contacts or you'll struggle

No comments:

Post a Comment