Thursday, July 29, 2010

Need turtle advice.. >UK?

Well i was planing on gettng terrapins but i have no idea on what tank to get, if anyone could send a list that i could look for it would help. I need to know what tank to use how big to keep baby terrapins only 1-2 and how much its all going to cost.





Also send me some websites..





if yuo own a terrapin can you handle it? i realize there nto that friendly becuase they get a bit nippy.Need turtle advice.. %26gt;UK?
yup, good advice on tank size. My two yellow bellied sliders are 6 years old and they're both 16cm long (shell).





They're in a 4ft tank (far too small, desperately seeking something twice the size(they're still growing!))





Filtered by an external canister filter (cost me 拢80)





heater cost 拢15





reptile bulb 拢15





Turtle dock 拢20 (can use bark or rocks while they're still small)





You could get smaller and cheaper for now, or pay out for stuff you're gonna have to get within four years or so anyway.





Hard work too! These guys need a complete water change and filter clean every week or they get smelly! That's 10 buckets of dirty water to syphon off and 10 buckets of clean water to bring to temperature!





Mine have never acted in an agressive way, but they do have very strong jaws and poor vision so have some times bitten my finger whilst hand feeding. They just can't see what they're biting on to. I just raise my finger a little higher and gravity encourages them to let go. doesn't hurt but I don't let my friends kids hand feed them cos their fingers are smaller and they might get scared.





They are dificult to hold as they are surprisingly strong and their long claws are sharp.





Very sweet though. I love my turtles. They come to the side of the tank twice a day to 'ask' for food. But please do consider how quickly you will need to fund and find room for 100 gall of water in your living room.Need turtle advice.. %26gt;UK?
I have one turtle, a red ear slider. He's still young so quite skiddish when I'm around. Some people have super friendly turtles that like their heads scratched.





As for a tank, I can't tell you pricing, but can give you guidelines... If you buy 1 turtle, you're looking at around a 100gallon tank. that's 48'; long by 18'; wide by 24'; tall. You don't need this right away, but will by the time it's full grown. Yes they grow quickly too.... To start a 30 gallon will do you for a little while... They basically need 10 gallons per inch of shell length preferrably. You need a really good filter. Aim for one that has twice the capacity of the tank size. You need a basking spot. I use a floating turtle dock. You'll need 2 lights, a heat light and a uvb light with fixtures to hold them. Also some sort of barrier so they can't escape... you'd be amazed at their escape abilities. You'll also need a water heater. The temp needs to be around 77degrees. and a thermometer to guage that temp. The cost will depend on the supplies you buy. I got my tank used for a really good price, but I spend $100 US on a filter (it's an XP3 canister filter). To be honest, look at your local classifieds and try and find a tank used, you'll save the most money there. Check out this website to see pics of peoples setups on the forums, as well as care sheets. www.redearslider.com

No comments:

Post a Comment