Thursday, July 29, 2010

Can I grow peaches from seed in the uk&do I have to dry the seeds before planting? any sowing advice wellcome?

yes you can just simply dry the seeds out for a couple of days in a kitchen window or one with the sun in the window. get some very rich compost and put some horse poo in it. cultivate it around and when seed is dryed out bury down about 8 inches and put it in a green house, it will have to be very hot and the right condition for it to bloom. when it gets to the right height witch is about three foot just simply put it in the garden in sun light and thats itCan I grow peaches from seed in the uk%26amp;do I have to dry the seeds before planting? any sowing advice wellcome?
This might help you....


http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_鈥?/a>Can I grow peaches from seed in the uk%26amp;do I have to dry the seeds before planting? any sowing advice wellcome?
I make my own compost in the garden and a few years ago when I was spreading compost on my flower beds, I noticed a nectarine (hairless peach?) stone that had split open in the compost and started to germinate. I put it into a pot and kept it in there for a couple of years. It grew quite well and has loveley reddish leaves. This spring I planted it out into the border and it really took off and has grown huge. I expect it to be at least 5 years before I get any flowers (then possibly fruits) on it. I have a small fig tree that I bought a couple of years ago. I've planted this against a south facing wall and this summer I've been eating the figs off it. They were delicious, much nicer than the ones you can buy.
No need to dry, plant it somewhere where the frost doesn't reach in the winter -say close to a south facing wall. You will have to keep the rain off the leaves or it will get peach leaf curl.
Peach trees are not that exspensive to buy and your get your fruit much quicker but you will need a south facing sheltered site.


Last year I was selling fruit trees at 拢12-00 each 5-6 ft tall
I don't know.





The subject that answers this question is called seed stratification.

No comments:

Post a Comment