Saturday, July 31, 2010

Alcohol advice in UK?

Alcoholics Anon is just too heavy, a bit cultish and religious for my liking. I want to talk about why I drink and overcome the hold its got over me. Iv not drunk for 3 months, and wont until I can be the master of it and not the other way round. Any ideas?Alcohol advice in UK?
I have been in the alcohol business for a long time now and have NEVER met a ';recovered'; alcoholic.





Anybody who has identified that they have an alcohol problem and managed to address the problem as you have has already done the right thing and should not, in my opinion, be looking for a way to drink again, no matter how noble their intentions. You have been dry for 3 months, which is far more than most alcoholics can manage on their own, so why waste your effort?





If you have proved to yourself and those around you that you can go without alcohol for that long and still live your life happily, just stick with it, kick alcohol for good and don't let yourself run the risk of slipping back into a dependency. Nobody who is addicted can 'master' their addiction. They will always be under its yoke as long as it is present. By stopping altogether, you have taken the ONLY way out of alcoholism and deserve a great deal of respect.





I must apologise for nearly managing to completely miss the main point of the question there. I should add that if you feel that you have managed to successfully kick the habit and would like to share your experiences with others to help yourself and them without the AA rigmorol, you should consider volunteering for some social work with alcoholic groups. Your experience and obvious strength of mind in this matter could be invaluable to somebody who is still struggling with an addiction. This would possibly give you an outlet for some of your personal feelings as well as you could discuss the difficulties in a much more personal situation.





Good luck.Alcohol advice in UK?
do you feel as if ur an alcholic??





go to rehabs and talk ot people, set an example.....
Have you ever been to an AA meeting? There are many groups. Find one that meets your liking.





Sober 20 years
keep up that attitude is all I gotta say. God Bless you. Alcohol is a horrible drug. Some additional counseling would be great for you, but you are already on the righ track. don't hesitate to go to AA, (if they have that in the UK?) theres nothing wrong with going to AA. Seems you've already admitted you are an alcoholic and that is the first step. Heck, I don't drink and I am pretty sure I am an alcoholic, because alcoholics have THIQ in the brains that makes them want another drink, and I have Irish in my blood ( 50%) the other half is meditteranean ( Egyptian) so I'm probably an on and off alcoholic.
yeh i have a few.





I'm someone with a drink prob. If you accept the label alcoholic then thats your biz. Have you had a look at RR rational recovery? it's the religion free cure. (or your in the UK so) Y not SOS.





Try SOS dot org. the ';secular organisation for sobriety'; good luck, and congrats. ur doing better than me.
Good Job on the 3 months. But there is no such thing as being the master of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment