Thursday, July 29, 2010

UK qualifide teacher with 3 years experience wanting advice on teaching abroad, preferably America ?

I'm a qualifide teacher in the UK just in my third year. I teach mainly Drama with some Citizenship/PSHE and one lesson of SEN English a week. My degree and PGCE were in English and Drama however only teaching one SEN English lesson a week has left me feeling a little out of the loop with this subject so I'm more confident with Drama. I've held the position of Teacher in Charge of Drama for two years now so i'm quite confident with middle management roles however would be happy as a classroom teacher. My partner works for a large multinational company which has its HQ in Silicone Valley, San Francisco. We would really like to move out there as this would open up lots of options for him, however we're aware how difficult it could be for me to find work out there. Any advice on agencies who may be able to help me secure a teaching position in San Jose/ San Francisco? Or how to apply to Private/ International schools?UK qualifide teacher with 3 years experience wanting advice on teaching abroad, preferably America ?
1. Prepare job application materials (Resume, vita, statement of teaching philosophy, pro forma cover letters, references, certificates/degrees)





2. Research schools in that area (so easy these days with the internet!!) and California requirements for public school teachers.





3. Specifically research private schools and ';special'; schools. From what your saying, those sound like your best opportunity to actually get a job.





4. Be prepared to make very little money.





5. Move there if your serious about working there. Or else how can you go to interviews, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment